Poking around for news, information, and just generally wasting time, I came across several more generic keyword domains that are in use by some big companies. Feel free to use this information in your discussions with potential end users to help them see the value of the keyword domains you are offering. For example, if your end user happened to be a commercial toilet distributor and you were trying to sell BathroomUrinal.com, you could say something like “This domain could be leveraged just as Hubba Bubba uses BuggleGum.com to attract additional customers.” Obviously BubbleGum.com is a higher value name, but you get the point.
Here are some of the most recent names I have come across:
- Laptops.com points to Bing.com
- Towels.com goes to BountyTowels.com
- Motorcycles.com forwards to Powersports.Honda.com (Motorcycle Page)
- Scooters.com also forwards to Powersports.Honda.com (Scooter Page)
- Firstaid.com goes to McAffee (not the first company I would think of)
- Dentures.com goes to a Fixodent site.
- Mattress.com to 1800Mattresses.com
- Supplements.com goes to VitaminID.com, A Nature Made site
- Bras.com goes to CKU.com which is the Calvin Klein Underwear site
- Computers.com goes to cnet.com
It’s unfortunate that most companies don’t realize the value of key word domains and need to be educated on this. But That fact that multi-million dollar marking departments for major corporations are taking advantage of generic keyword domains, lends some additional credibility to the pitch. Like it or not, to be successful in selling to end users, you’ll need to do all you can to educate them on how this will be an investment in their business.